On February 23, 1917 the Germans decided to make a shootingarea on the moors in east Belgium .Also there was build a airfield.The first plane started on May 26 1917.On January 20, 1918, 20 German officers where stationed in Genk to work on the airfield.On June 14, 1918 two officers were looking for 50 "ladys" to work for them at the airfield.Then there were build the stone buildings.
After the truce was the airport by the Belgian army occupied on December 1 1918.This was necessary for stop the looting .In March 1919 there was decided to use the aera as flight and trainingcentre.Because political-military squabbling the airfield was not used till 1920.In December 1924 the airport was totally unsuitable for use.The centrelane of the field was completely damaged and so was the beginning of 1925 abolished.On the former runway is now a go-kart racing track..
A Baroness bought the buildings, gave them away, and there came a children's orphanage.They moved in 2003 to another location..Since then are the buildings for sale or may already saled.The decay also partly due to vandalism.
The subsequent use of the buildings is not clear.Because the appearance of the buildings has remained unchanged there were plans to give the buildings an historical status.It's gonna cost a lot of money to renovated the buildings.Maybe wins the demolition hammer.
© 2008 All Rights Reserved Urban-Explora.com